Followers

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Mist’s Story…

We got our precious Mist (AKC Irish Misty Fire) in February of 1996. She was 8 weeks old, and we bought her from a local breeder. She was a beautiful little black tri.


Since Bud had decided to choose one of my sons as his person, when we got Mist, we made sure that she bonded with my husband before I would let any of the kids play with her (and boy, was THAT a difficult task... she was SO CUTE!!!).

When she was about 3 months old, he took her to work with him and a guy at his office chased her, stomping and yelling, teasing my hubby, and it scared the tar out of poor little Mist. As those of you with Corgis know, they have VERY LONG memories, and she was very leery of strangers for the rest of her life.


Mist was such a quiet, sweet little soul. She loved her Dad with all of her heart and soul and loved the rest of us as well. She was very smart (I guess that is a given since she was a corgi) and she was super fast. She used to be able to sneak close and then sprint and catch birds before they could fly away.

She only came into heat every 13 months, and after her second heat, we tried to breed her because I had several people that wanted pups, but she was 4 years old before she finally had puppies.


She had three pups, and the first was very large and born breach. We think that she was injured or something during that birth, though she had the other two much smaller ones, very easily. The first pup didn’t make it, but OC and her brother, Rascal, were strong and healthy. She never “took” again, so I am so glad that I decided to keep OC (the pup on the left).

Bud, Mist and OC took to herding naturally, and learned very quickly to put our goats into whatever pen or yard we wanted them in. It was a joy to watch them in action. My hubby was a truck driver for 33 years, and Mist loved it when she got to go with him in his big truck with the sleeper.

We found out that she had cancer just before she turned 10 years old, and she passed away in my arms the day after her 10th birthday. We all miss her very much, and OC was very depressed for several weeks after her Mama passed. I wrote this poem the day after she left us…

Goodbye Sweet Mist

By Linda Brock ©12/06

I've come to say goodbye
To a dear and faithful friend.

Dear Mist, our love and memories
Of you will never end.


I'm thankful your life joined with ours,
If only for ten years...
Believe me, precious, beautiful girl,
Our lives are richer
Though now we shed tears...

3 comments:

betty said...

that was the sweetest story, Linda. Brought tears to my eyes. What a special gal that Mist was!! Thanks for sharing the story of OC's mom; she was a beautiful corgi!!

betty

Great Pyrenees said...

did she die

Laurie said...

Awww so sweet as well! She looks so much like Sadie!!! It was nice reading about how you got your corgis and their life. They were lucky to have you!